Raise charitable funds to support the training of palliative care practitioners and to increase awareness of palliative medicine.
- Establish an endowed chair in palliative medicine through Yale University and Yale School of Medicine More
- Raise $40 million and create an endowment to support training programs in Palliative Medicine.
- Support Center of Excellence programs, replicable nationally, in primary and specialty palliative care, that help patients and their families live with serious disease.
- Increase the number of palliative care practitioners.
- Educate the community and policymakers about palliative care.
These goals will have a ripple effect nationwide in how palliative care is provided to patients and their families.
Endowing this position will:
- Assure, in perpetuity, that the Yale Medical School will be able to retain / attract a world-class, recognized leader in palliative care to direct the program
- Enable the program to attract additional funds and appeal to the most sought-after trainees
BUILDING A CENTER OF EXCELLENCE IN PALLIATIVE MEDICINE
The Palliative Care Service at Yale New Haven Health is dedicated to the care and comfort of patients with serious illness and their families. Under the direction of Jennifer Kapo, MD, the Palliative Care Service provides comprehensive interdisciplinary care to patients and their families. The Sherwin B. Nuland Foundation for Palliative Care is working in coordination with the Yale Palliative Care Service to grow and enhance the building of this Center of Excellence.